Thursday, August 20, 2009

What do you do?



I'm writing this blog in desperate need of help. I'm quite aware that hardly anyone reads this, and for those of you that do, Thank you. It would mean a great deal if you could just post a little comment at the end so i know who my audience is.



Question: What do you do when you need to go to emergency at your local hospital (the Alfred) but you know you are automatically going to be in for a 4-6 hour wait because your a 'chronic pain' patient, yet you cant afford the $500 odd dollars to go to your private hospital because they will charge you this much just to be seen, medicated and most likely be sent on your way just in Emergency?



Answer: You take as many medications as you can in a specific time limit, and monitor at home. Or as I like to phrase it.... you suffer until your so medicated you give up.



You see I was supposed to be admitted to hospital on last Sunday. I rang my surgeon on his mobile, told him I could no longer cope with the pain by myself. He said he would arrange for me to be admitted at the private hospital. This is all fine you see. He rang the people who arrange your admission; they call you and get it all organised. Now because I was coming in for pain management and to find out why I was in so much pain, it was difficult to see if my health insurance would cover it. Between the admin staff and nurses, my mum and I decided it was best if I was admitted the next morning as we could confirm with the health insurance company that I would not be $7500 out of pocket instead of $500. This was all fine, I was happy with this arrangement. We rang Monday morning only to find out my surgeon, had not filled in or signed any paperwork which meant the nurses could not administer me medications etc. As I was getting more annoyed we were told that he was away that day and could not be contacted. Since then I have not heard from him. I have not been admitted to hospital. I have put up with the ever increasing pain. I am slowly getting more depressed about my situation and how to cope with it all (again).



Almost two years ago after my second hip operation and $50,000 odd out of my parents pocket I signed up for private health insurance. $35 each fortnight is direct debited out of my bank account for basic+ (plus) health insurance. this means for each calendar year I get unlimited hospital cover (including doctors fees, surgery and anaesthesia fees etc) for a once off payment of $500 (or 2x$250 depending on your choices when signing up...), ambulance cover and a range of extras cover such as dental, optical, physio etc. This hospital cover was extremely handy when I had my 3rd surgery. However if you arrive at a private hospital emergency room you are not covered for any scans or treatment you receive in the ED. For Epworth hospital this out of pocket charges is also around $500. As a student with no job, because I'm unemployable as I'm a liability and also a full time student and who has a mother living on an allocated pension, neither I nor her can afford this.



Right now I'm in 10/10 pain, and I've taken all the possible combinations of pain medication that I can take without overdosing and can’t do anything further than wait it out, and wait for it to pass. I can’t afford private emergency department costs and I don’t have the energy to wait or to be pushed aside and wait in a corridor in a public hospital.




(my bedside table as current, no 22 year old should have to live like this.)



You see, I have a big issue with the Victorian public health system because I spent from November 2007 through till august 2008 going in and out of hospitals because I was in severe pain, of which I knew something was wrong. Straight away they shoved me into the chronic pain patient list of which I have remained on ever since and continue to be treated as such. 'Chronic pain is classified as having constant pain for a period of more than three months' of which I had yes, had pain for various reasons in the past but there was a fairly good reason for that pain and that was because I had shredded the cartilage in my hip. SO for a good 10 months I was in and out of hospitals being poked and prodded, scanned and radiated and nobody could find the reason why I was in pain. The doctors even sent me to a rehabilitation hospital of which I went berserk at their reasoning for it (which was I needed to stregthen my core which in turn help with my hip pain), by saying 'You cant rehabilitate something that you don't know what's wrong or what's affected!!!'


I eventually proved this theory right because after 2 and a half weeks of physio twice a day, psychological assessments, I eventually told the doctors they were stupid for not realizing this and it was a waste of a bed that someone ACTUALLY needed.


Eventually months down the track and one too many doctors seen, I had my original surgeon do a specific test which showed I had boney growths growing inside the cartilage, giving a bone on bone feel, and also a severe build up of scar tissue (over a handful which was later removed)which was inhabilitating movement. If only they had trusted me when I told them something was wrong 10 months earlier, we could have saved a lot of taxpayers moneys, time, effort and my mental health. They also realised the pins they had inserted into my femur a little over a year beforehand were beginning to become infected. Surgery fixed me right up and for almost a year, life began to return to normal. Until now.



That's right I can tell you where you where the best nurses are, which Melbourne hospital has the best food, right down to the who the nicest people are that take you places within the hospitals (sorry I cant think of the job name...transporters?? you know who im talking about)



- Im hurting (in the heart and in my arse,leg and groin)


- im dissapointed in my surgeon


- im so worried that this new scenerio will have an outcome like last years, that it brings tears to my eyes.



What on earth did i do to deserve this? I know there is people out in the world much worse off than me. They suffer just trying to survive, but right now im having a 'why me' moment. And I think I deserve to have that moment, and think of how I might survive?

As im on crutches at the moment, im completly dependant on my mother, and she had already planned a 10 day holiday of which she leaves for tomorrow night. How the hell am i going survive that time by myself? Dont get me wrong, im glad she's going, she needs a break and I've got wonderful neighbours and i know if i need them to do something, they will, but what about in the middle of the night if something happens? what about during the day when everyones at school or work. I feel like i should be in my late 80's and frail... I still have to figure out how im going to get to Uni next week to do a presentation worth 60% on thursday. FML right now, FML.

Thanks for listening. You've made me feel much better and the pain is down to about 8/10.


Signing out,


Jen xo

3 comments:

  1. PS i dont consider myself an overly emotional person. life is just shitty atm.
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have every right to be shitty at the moment, you are stuck in a very shitty situation! I find it strange that they shoved you into chronic pain too soon, also, usually they are so quick to cut open. I don't have the same experience as you as I'm a private patient. I'm not sure where you are located but there is an ER at Casey Hospital in Berwick that I went to for my jaw, they were pretty quick.

    As for the depression, I know that is a tough bitch as well. It's always gonna be a cycle, so even though you're down now, things will cycle back up and get better, keep faith in that as it helps with surviving the present. Losing faith in your surgeon is tough...you can try for another referral but it involves more waiting, more pain...do you have a GP helping you too?

    Hugs! Caf xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks caf, Im in the caulfield area, so im closest to the Alfred. It was the Royal Melbourne when they put me into the 'chronic pain' patient criteria, which puts you through to the pain clinic at caulfield hospital which is pretty good.

    I dont think id classify myself as depressed. at least i dont think i am. i havnt "withdrawn from social interactions" im still in contact with friends and am at uni, no suicidal thoughts etc... but i definatly get frustrated and upset at the health system and doctors way of thinking. sometimes i wonder if they are even listening. In Reference to My surgeon, who although im dissapointed in him for not following up admittance to hospital, he has been increadibly wonderful to me in the past, so im not giving up yet! thanks for all your advice tho, you have been a wonderful friend and really helped me out and also helped me build up the courage to blog!!!
    I hope, wish and pray to the best of my ability that your jaw sorts it self out asap and all other issue's quite'n down, as i know there is no cure for CRPS/RSD, i wish you the best.
    much love,and tweet you soon
    Jen xxo

    ReplyDelete